Main Article Content
Since their broad implementation, immunizations have decreased morbidity and mortality due to a number of serious infectious diseases. In recent years, exaggerated concerns about the safety of immunizations have resulted in decreased immunization coverage in many regions and epidemic outbreaks of serious transmissible diseases – most particularly measles. This commentary reviews the legal justification for compulsory immunization and the ethical justification for civil incentives to assure compliance with immunization practices.
Pathogens and Immunity abides by Creative Commons BY 4.0:
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work for any lawful purpose, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials. The authors maintain copyright of their materal.
*Due to a template error on our pdfs, articles published from May 20, 2016 to June 24, 2022 incorrectly state the copyright is held by Pathogens and Immunity. Copyright of all articles is held by the authors of each article as noted in the above copyright policy.
4. Sandstrom A. Most States Allow Religious Exemptions from Child Abuse and Neglect Laws, Aug. 12, 2016. Available from: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/08/12/most-states-allow-religious-exemptions-from-child-abuse-and-neglect-laws/ .
6. Klapdor M, Grove A. "No Jab No Pay" and Other Immunisation Measures, Parliament of Australia [May 8, 2019]. Available from: https://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/rp/budgetreview201516/vaccination
7. Balkissoon D. No vaccines, no public school: is it time for Canada to emulate France? Globe and Mail 2017. Available from: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/no-vaccines-no-public-school-is-it-time-for-canada-to-emulate-france/article35575459/ .
8. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [Sept. 12, 2019]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/general-recs/contraindications.html .
15. National Council of State Legislatures. [October 30, 2019]. Available from: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/school-immunization-exemption-state-laws.aspx .
19. Tyson P. NOVA, A Short History of Quarantine PBS 2004 ( www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/short-history-of-quarantine.html ).
20. Paris F. Judge Upholds Mandatory Measles Vaccinations as New York Closes More Schools, NPR, April 19, 2019 https://www.npr.org/2019/04/19/715016284/brooklyn-judge-upholds-mandatory-vaccinations-as-new-york-city-closes-more-schools .
21. Ducharme J. New York City Is Requiring Some Residents to Get Vaccinated Against Measles. Is That Legal — And Ethical? Time, April 10, 2019 https://time.com/5567422/mandatory-vaccination-legal-ethics/ .