Main Article Content
Research with nonhuman primates (NHPs) – monkeys for the most part – has led to critical health advances that have saved or improved millions of human lives. While NHPs account for just one-half of one percent of animals in current medical research, it is no exaggeration to say they are essential to our ability to find cures for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, obesity/diabetes, and dozens of other diseases that cause human suffering and death.
Pathogens and Immunity abides by Creative Commons BY 4.0:
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work for any lawful purpose, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials. The authors maintain copyright of their materal.
*Due to a template error on our pdfs, articles published from May 20, 2016 to June 24, 2022 incorrectly state the copyright is held by Pathogens and Immunity. Copyright of all articles is held by the authors of each article as noted in the above copyright policy.
1. Greene M, Covinsky KE, Valcour V, Miao Y, Madamba J, Lampiris H, Cenzer IS, Martin J, Deeks SG. Geriatric Syndromes in Older HIV-Infected Adults. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;69(2):161-7. PubMed PMID: 26009828. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4445476. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000556
2. Deeks SG, Lewin SR, Havlir DV. The end of AIDS: HIV infection as a chronic disease. Lancet. 2013;382(9903):1525-33. PubMed PMID: 24152939. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4058441. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61809-7
3. Gross AM, Jaeger PA, Kreisberg JF, Licon K, Jepsen KL, Khosroheidari M, Morsey BM, Swindells S, Shen H, Ng CT, Flagg K, Chen D, Zhang K, Fox HS, Ideker T. Methylome-wide Analysis of Chronic HIV Infection Reveals Five-Year Increase in Biological Age and Epigenetic Targeting of HLA. Mol Cell. 2016;62(2):157-68. PubMed PMID: 27105112. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4995115. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2016.03.019
4. Rickabaugh TM, Baxter RM, Sehl M, Sinsheimer JS, Hultin PM, Hultin LE, Quach A, Martinez-Maza O, Horvath S, Vilain E, Jamieson BD. Acceleration of age-associated methylation patterns in HIV-1-infected adults. PLoS One. 2015;10(3):e0119201. PubMed PMID: 25807146. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4373843. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0119201
5. Hessell AJ, Jaworski JP, Epson E, Matsuda K, Pandey S, Kahl C, Reed J, Sutton WF, Hammond KB, Cheever TA, Barnette PT, Legasse AW, Planer S, Stanton JJ, Pegu A, Chen X, Wang K, Siess D, Burke D, Park BS, Axthelm MK, Lewis A, Hirsch VM, Graham BS, Mascola JR, Sacha JB, Haigwood NL. Early short-term treatment with neutralizing human monoclonal antibodies halts SHIV infection in infant macaques. Nat Med. 2016;22(4):362-8. PubMed PMID: 26998834. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4983100. doi: 10.1038/nm.4063
6. Gilead Sciences, Inc. Gilead announces data from new preclinical study evaluating an investigational TLR7 agonist in SIV-infected monkeys. [News Release] 2016. At www.gilead.com/news/press-releases/2016/2/gilead-announces-data-from-new-preclinical-study-evaluating-an-investigational-tlr7-agonist-in-sivinfected-monkeys
7. Lanford RE, Guerra B, Chavez D, Giavedoni L, Hodara VL, Brasky KM, Fosdick A, Frey CR, Zheng J, Wolfgang G, Halcomb RL, Tumas DB. GS-9620, an oral agonist of Toll-like receptor-7, induces prolonged suppression o hepatitis B virus in chronically infected chimpanzees. Gastroenterology. 2013;144(7):1508-17, 17 e1-10. PubMed PMID: 23415804. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3691056. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.02.003
9. American Transplant Association. Facts and myths. Available from: www.americantransplantfoundation.org/about-transplant/facts-and-myths/
10. National Institutes of Health. What is the BRAIN initiative? Available from: www.braininitiative.nih.gov/index.htm
11. Alzheimer’s Association. Alzheimer’s disease facts and figures. Available from: www.alz.org/facts/
12. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Respiratory syncytial virus infection (RSV). Trends and Surveillance. At www.cdc.gov/rsv/research/us-surveillance.html
13. American Lung Association. Diagnosing and Treating RSV. At www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/rsv/diagnosing-and-treating-rsv.html
14. Hall CB, Weinberg GA, Iwane MK, Blumkin AK, Edwards KM, Staat MA, Auinger P, Griffin MR, Poehling KA, Erdman D, Grijalva CG, Zhu Y, Szilagyi P. The burden of respiratory syncytial virus infection in young children. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(6):588-98. PubMed PMID: 19196675. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4829966. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0804877
15. American Heart Association. Heart disease and stroke statistics—at-a-glance. At www.heart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_470704.pdf
16. Mayo Clinic. High blood pressure (hypertension). At www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/basics/complications/con-20019580
17. American Diabetes Association. Statistics about diabetes. At www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/?loc=db-slabnav
19. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Overweight and Obesity Statistics. At: www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx
20. National Institutes of Health Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare. Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. Revised, 2015. At grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/references/phspolicylabanimals.pdf
21. Committee for the Update of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals; Institute for Laboratory Animal Research. Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. 8th ed. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011.
22. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Animal welfare act inspections. At 1.usa.gov/1XCaq7m
23. American Association for the Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care. The AAALAC international accreditation program. At www.aaalac.org/accreditation/index.cfm
24. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Research Integrity. How to work with your Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). At ori.hhs.gov/education/products/ncstate/iacuc.htm
25. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Good Laboratory Practice for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies. At www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRsearch.cfm?CFRPart=58